Monday, September 17, 2007

Dark Age of Camelot


What can I say? Dark Age of Camelot will always be my favorite MMO. (Until Darkfall comes out, hopefully.)

We recently re-started Dark Age of Camelot. We moved from our normal server/realm to play Midgaard on the Killibury cluster. I've had a lot of fun exploring the new classes. Since I already know the crafting system inside out, I don't intend to play with it very much this time around.

I've purchased a bunch of houses on all servers for our characters, and now I'm fretting over paying for them all as I've sort of lost interest in playing at the moment.

Either way, here's the rundown of classes I've tried on the Mid side.

Warlock - powerful nukers. Not my play style at all, I'm really more of a hack-n-slash person, and these characters are squishy at best. They have some hard hitting spells, especially when you get the chambering option and effectively hit with four spells at once. Unfortunately, it's a little bit confusing and I felt like I needed a tutorial every time I picked up a new spell. First, you cast a primary spell, and then a secondary at the same time. If you chamber spells, you do a primary, and then a secondary which spawns a little circle symbol that floats over your head. This symbol changes based on spell combination. Then, to hit you cast a primary, secondary, and the chambered spells. So you hit with 4 at once, but then you have to re-chamber before your next strike, or only hit with 2. I can see how this would be helpful in PvP situations, but in PvE it just gives nukers another way to pull aggro and get themselves killed.

Shaman - OhhhhHhh yea. Casters who can tank, but without combat styles. I really, really...really like my shaman. I've leveled her more than any other tune. She had an awesome nuke, and the most powerful growth rate DoTs in the game. (Yes, I researched it.) She effectively kills yellows without them ever getting close, and oranges with minimal damage as they die before many rounds of combat go by. If you aren't in a close quarters fighting area, you can use the single DoT as well as an AoE DoT. Thats 180 damage per round!

Valkyrie - This is the Mid polearm class. They have insta-cast heals, HoTs and some damage spells. They have awesome DPS styles as well. I have friends who swear by this class, but I never made it very far with mine. I was a bit disenchanted by the name, and then got distracted by my Shaman.

There are several other classes, including the spellcasting tanks called "Thanes", as well as Warriors, Berserkers, Runemasters, Spiritmasters, Bonedancers, etc. I experimented with a couple of these classes - such as the pet summoning Bonedancers - but I don't have much to say about them at the moment.

Midgaard is by far the most lore-rich realm in this game. The team who put this realm together really did a great job. It's very strongly steeped in Norse mythology and the countryside is breath taking. Although it isn't as green as the other two realms, Midgaard can steal a person's heart rather easily. Despite the beastial nature of the races available to play (Trolls, Valkyns, Kobolds, etc.) it's a beautiful realm. The structures show a level of detail that seem to be lacking in the English-derived Albions, and Celtic-derived Hibernians.

Once again, I'm wildly biased in favor of this game. No matter how far I've strayed I always seem to come back to Camelot.

No comments: